Saturday, August 11, 2018

Building up to my first year

I am often asked "what do you do in the novitiate" and some days - I get to build! We needed a stand for gifts from our Japanese sisters and a platform to make a table in the chapel more stable on the very thick carpet. So... saw'ing on the roof I go with scrap material from around the house. (The table is actually our sacristy table that holds the Blessed Sacrament, the very real presence of Jesus, a table my Uncle Ted and I made from birch wood from our cottage)  




My question: What would you expect we do in the novitiate? Our foundress Marguerite Bourgeoys asked that we be able to do all kinds of things...being versatile and responsive to the needs around us. For me that means creating! 


I have never heard someone say "I'm not that kind of nun" and am so glad I am a part of something where we are encouraged to grow everyday, in all kinds of expected and unexpected ways. As you might expect, we spend a lot of time in prayer and going to church. As well as building yesterday, I helped at a funeral with 3 minutes notice after just coming in from mass up the hill. I jumped in my black dress and ran to the church. I have been reading, drawing, talking, cooking, baking, singing, volunteering, visiting, and learning to play a few instruments. Life has been busy and in two weeks, while I am on retreat, I will have been here for a year. 



I think this picture summarizes the year well. I am still me - with all the building creating and cutting, but what is new is that my hair has been coiffed by our sisters from Cameroon, my cross hangs seemingly between two city buildings, and now I am working with the awareness of God all around me, through me, and in what I am doing. It hasn't been an easy year, but it has been filled with grace, beautiful people, and a lot of learning. I am excited for my year of ministry to begin, to get back out into the world and visit with people where they are (to put this sister thing into practice). Hello Toronto!! See you in October (for a few months anyway). 

3 comments:

  1. St. Joseph would definitely approve of the power tools! Build on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I wasn't even thinking carpentry here. That's a whole new element to building. I can meditate on Jesus and Joseph building together... well perhaps I won't meditate while doing the building, at least when power tools are involved. Thanks!!

      Delete