Thursday, May 9, 2013

From the Island on the East to the Island on the West – Day 1 - May 8, 2013


This trip, though less noble than the one from my last blogs, is one that I expect to be full of adventure. I have a fantastic travelling buddy, Jenn, and we will be making our way across Canada and the US over 2 weeks. It’s a very planes trains and automobiles kind of trip, with a ferry, gondola, and roller coaster thrown in! Okay…roller coasters aren’t a form of transportation, but boy they are fun! We started day 1 flying out early (before sunrise, so I can’t even say ‘bright and early’) to Victoria. For my non-geographo-philic friends, (a new sarcastic word to describe someone that dislikes geography as much as I do), Victoria is a cute island on the west coast of Canada, not far from Vancouver (or Seattle). (Note: I’ll try to translate the Canadian to American as we go through…)

After settling into our seats for the flight to Toronto, I was reminded just how much I love flying. The familiar soft bouncing in your seat as the plane taxis down the runway, the big turn warning you that the real magic is about to happen, an immediate acceleration as the plane starts to go as fast as it can before the pilot changes one thing and suddenly we’re flying. I imagine that’s the biggest thrill of being a pilot: putting the pedal to the metal with nothing but an empty road and big blue sky in front of you. When I had a motorcycle and the roads were quiet, I loved accelerating as quickly as possible when the light turned green. You had just a second where you felt like you were flying. (Perhaps it’s good I sold my bike….)

After a nice nap, I settled into an airplane movie. It is great having a personal player in front of you and yet I’m nostalgic for the feeling of curling up with a good book in the seat. In my travelling days, I could finish an entire novel on one flight, but now I try to see how many movies I can cram in. I should stop watching Oz now and open up the book that’s just crying to be read….but I just can’t seem to! Plus I have lucked out. Both movies I watched (that I expected to be terrible) were both quite endearing: Guilt Trip and Oz. Maybe my standards are too low on a plane and too high in the theatre, but they really both were good movies!

It’s funny being on this trip. For what feels like the first time, two whole weeks off scares me. Can I really be gone so long? This last year was unbelievably taxing, taking a full course load at the same time as teaching courses, essentially two full-time jobs and going to Kenya in the middle. My relaxation has really just begun, and rather than be relieved, I don’t know, I seem to be apprehensive about leaving and having to force relaxation. Oh well, I’m sure that will change as we’re only 7 hours into the trip and there are many exciting things planned. (And I'm sure you feel terrible for me right now. Thank you for your sympathy. It is hard to relax!)

Upcoming events: skiing, Carrie Underwood, Mount Rushmore, Dream Girls, Book of Mormon, going to the 3 biggest malls in North America, roller coasters (did I mention that?), and so much more! We’ll be sleeping on a train travelling through the Rockies, staying in hostels, and there’s a haunted hotel on the books (shhh…don’t tell Jenn). We’ll be going to Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Banff, Winnipeg, Minnesota, South Dakota, Chicago, and Toronto, with a few other places along the way! As always, this blog is a record for myself, so I don’t have to remember every moment, but if you want a glimpse into my random mind, please feel free to take a peek during our journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment