Friday, May 10, 2013

Victoria's Secrets - Day 2


Let’s finish up day 1 first. The last flight from Vancouver to Victoria was only 12 minutes long. Yup we were actually in the air 12 minutes. I have been on many short flights, but 12 minutes!? We got to elevation, the seatbelt sign turned off, and two minutes later the sign came back on as we were beginning our descent.

Jenn and I left the airport, found our way to the bus (form of transportation number 2) and headed to Butchard Gardens. A beautiful part of Vancouver Island, about 45 minutes from Victoria. We wandered around the beautiful tulips and saw many pretty arrangements, and while taking pictures of each other in front of this one nice fountain,  we ended up in a conversation with these two lovely ladies and their mother. It turns out that one of their daughter-in-laws is from PEI, so we had a nice discussion. Now why do I even mention this basic exchange? It seems so trivial a detail. It’s actually quite significant.

Some background: my sister will talk to anyone, about anything, for hours. I have always made fun of her for this. We would be window shopping and she would somehow get into a conversation with the clerk….without going into the store! For the most part, small talk annoys me. Getting my hair done can be torturous for the meaningless exchange of words. However, after living on PEI for nearly 3 years, I think this dislike is changing. I really enjoyed talking to these ladies even though I will never see them again. Then later on in the day, I got into a few very meaningless short conversations with a few other people, and enjoyed those too. I even initiated a conversation with the people at the table next to us. What? That’s not like old me. Charming old PEI is so friendly that I think it has its neighborly, rose-colored hooks in me. Gone is the Arizona isolation, in with talking to new people! I can’t imagine I’ll ever enjoy getting my hair done, but this is a step in the right direction!

Jenn and I had a great dinner at the Flying Otter in downtown Victoria (recommended by the ladies) after checking into our quaint self-described ‘boutique’ hotel: the Bedford Regency. For the price I was expecting Motel 6 and was very pleasantly surprised. It’s also the most haunted hotel in the most haunted town in Canada. (dun dun dunnnnn) though we didn’t stay in room that has the most sightings. Funny though, the elevator was out, so we had to drag our bags up two flights to our floor, find our door already ajar, so I went down and got us a new room up four flights, but after getting to that room learned that our keys weren’t as updated as the hotel clerk thought, so I went down and back up the 4 flights before finally crashing into the pristine white duvet covered bed! Jenn elected to let me take the stairs and sat with the bags so at least I wasn’t lugging those around. After a quick rest we walked around the wharf area, had some awesome mussels and sampled a nice mojito with fresh mint, tried on dresses at a cute shop nearby, then went back to the hotel and crashed. With the 4 hour time change, we had been up nearly 22 hours and were ready to call it a day, even if it was barely 9pm local time.

We woke up the morning of day 2 having heard no ghosts, only the very happy loud people leaving the bars. I would like to say we jumped out of bed but it was really a slow progression to get ready for the day. We went to a great breakfast joint called ‘Willy’s’ where I had the most amazing Southern Benedict. I don’t like breakfast food, but this was incredible! The previous eggs benedict title-holder was my cousin Kevin, but the reign has passed. This had cornbread and a chipotle hollandaise sauce with pieces of spicy sausage instead of ham. Boy oh boy was it good! (I should note I started a conversation with the waitress. Ask my sister…that doesn’t normally happen. Silly PEI).

Next Jenn and I found Fan Tan Alley in Chinatown. This is North America’s smallest alley, less than 1m wide in parts, and the oldest Chinatown in Canada. We wandered into cute shops and each made a fun purchase. I got an awesome hat that is too big to fit in my luggage so it will be in every picture from here on out. Jenn bout a less conspicuous ring made from spoons – very cool. We then went on a ghost walk in the middle of the day. Isn’t that when most people go hunting for ghosts? Before checking out of our hotel, we went up to the haunted room (number 49) and other than feeling spooky, we saw nothing, not even an orb. So, we tried other known haunted spots in the area: the Maritime Museum where the gallows used to be, the cigar shop, a chocolate shop where we had to sample the wares before proceeding to the Empress. A fun little ghost walk that unsurprisingly turned up nothing but a really nice sea salt and caramel chocolate.

After this we headed to the Natural History Museum and spent an hour seeing First Nations, Chinese, and American/Canadian cultural things. I can use no other word than ‘things’. It was a neat museum with exhibits in themed rooms, but I must say I was a bit whelmed. (Not overwhelmed or underwhelmed…just whelmed). There was a stuffed Mammoth and some neat sea lions, but unusually for a natural history museum, the word ‘evolution’ wasn’t to be found. Additionally the exhibits had titles but really no information or text. Quite whelming.

Jenn and I then hustled back to our hotel, grabbed our bags, and went to the bus station to catch our 1:45 out of town to Vancouver. After an hour’s drive, we got on the ferry (transportation mode 3) and had a nice respite from walking while travelling to Vancouver.

This is a nice side of the world. There is green everywhere and people keep telling us how lucky we are to come in this weather. That tells me two things. 1 - it’s beautiful weather, and 2 – it’s not normally this beautiful. It was neat to see snow capped mountains behind forests on an island. The island I know is flat without mountains, so this was a different sight. The downtown of Victoria is aptly named as there are Victorian inspired buildings everywhere. The town is quaint and I could see spending a number of days wandering around. There are ethnic restaurants on every corner – something PEI is certainly lacking, but clearly an English rather than Scottish or Irish influence.  

Our Victoria appetizer is now complete, and we are ready for the Vancouver course. Tonight’s entertainment is a musical: Dreamgirls followed by retiring in a hostel in Gastown. Quite a dichotomy from last night’s luxury and quiet evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment