Friday, February 1, 2019

The nature of our border experience

I am excited to offer you another perspective from the border. Tonight, our guest blogger (and my novitiate director) Sister Maco, CND reflects on the nature of our experience:


Today, here at the border, I was invited by Libby to be a guest blogger. To be perfectly honest, Libby's reflections of the many experiences at the border have given you all a great overview of what has been happening and there is no need for me to add more or really to repeat. The truth is, my heart is filled with much gratitude which I know will take a while for me to unpack. However, today, I agreed to share some highlights that came to mind and will remain with me.  (I'm actually following Libby's orders to be a guest blogger today.  After all, she is the shift coordinator! So, I better do what I'm told!)  Anyhow, Cathy and I were able to sneak out and visit a retreat center in the area.  Our couple of hours' respite and a walk along a labyrinth after several very long days gave me the opportunity to pause and tap into the many graces I was gifted with. I was grateful simply for the opportunity to reflect on the walk along the side of our migrants
Since we arrived, I have had several tasks.  I have been one of the designated drivers. I oversaw the toiletries department, and I have given out medicines. And, yes, I too made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!  I helped set up a new hosting location and went out to purchase needed supplies. However, what's been most impressive to me are the many visitation moments with the families. While I speak some Spanish, I've been able to understand and get by with simple terms thanks to my Italian and French. The truth is, too, the migrants are very forgiving of my broken Spanish and for whatever reason, we have been able to communicate and understand each other. The deep eyes of a child, an adolescent, a mom or a dad spoke to me of resiliency, courage and strength. The many hugs and sign languages have humanized compassion.  
There have been moments when I was moved to tears and my empathic side kicked in! I heard stories of their long and horrific journeys or how they have been treated at the border or seeing their monitors tightly placed around their ankles where they couldn't remove their pants unless we helped them cut the ankle cuff of their only pair of pants.  In addition, their shoelaces were confiscated (really, not sure why, even from shoes of young children!) Many trips we made to get new shoelaces so they could continue the journey. I guided each family through security and offered explicit instructions on what would happen once I left them to wait to board a bus or plane. And let me tell you, there was a lot to explain and a lot that they went through just at the airport or bus terminal.  As I would hug each one of them on their way, I remember most of their strong grip of not wanting to let go.  With tears in my eyes and my parting words of "Buena suerta" and "Que Dios te bendiga", I have been aware of the need to let go of the outcome because what's most important is the recognition that each short visitation moment held the seed of love and this seed of love is God deeply rooted in each person. Yes, it will take awhile for me to unpack the many gifts. But gratefully, having made the journey with Cathy and Libby, we will have many opportunities to make meaning of our shared experiences in the future.

The sheer beauty of the area on this winter day, the song of birds, the mountains and desert trails with cacti plants offer a paradox of the lived reality of our migrants' journey as thy continue to walk North.  May our passionate God of love guide our migrants to the promise land. May it be so...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Maco for adding your word. I hold you, Cathy and Libby in my heart and prayer and EACH of the migrants. Much love, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings Maco, This is an amazing experience, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please know that you, Libby and Cathy are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maco, a beautiful sharing and a bringing of tears too in us. You confirm our views of the multiple wrongs that happen in the crossing. We are sharing your companioning of the “passers” with our circles. The White Plains Trio in El Paso are in our hearts for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are there and helping these people reach their dream of safety and I know those hugs will carry them a long way xoxo

    ReplyDelete