Thursday, February 28, 2013

Teaching Robotics and Experiencing Hope

See full pictures here: Robots In Kenya Album

When my robotics prof told me I would need to take one of the Lego Mindstorm robots with me to Kenya in order to complete the homework assignments, my initial thought was ‘Do you know how little space I have to pack!?! Everything I need for 3 weeks has to fit into a backpack!’ But then it clicked. I realized I was going to places in Kenya where toys are homemade from water bottles and string, where soccer balls are constructed out of plastic bags wrapped tightly together, where many of the students aren’t wearing shoes, and the schools are miles from electricity. It dawned on me, that my prof was giving me the opportunity to a bring robot there!
Kinwe School - 1st Lecture - 7th and 8th Grade
So I took the robot home and learned as much as I could about it. I arrived at Kinwe Primary School (my first day to skip medical clinics in four years) and asked to speak with the 7th and 8th grade class. They combined the groups and I walked in with my robot.
The classroom wall was constructed of uneven slats of wood that allow the light to come through, as there’s no electricity in the building. The wall doesn’t quite reach the floor and it’s clear there’s been erosion. The ceiling is made of a corrugated roof with a few simple beams holding it up. There is a single chalk board at the front of the room and wooden desks that multiple students share. The students are wearing uniforms, though not all are wearing shoes.
Suddenly in the rush of clinics and other preparations, I realized that I forgot to plan what I would do in the classes. Luckily, there was so much to talk about, the speech came easy. I started with asking questions about space. What is different about space? It took some coaxing as they students were shy, and my questions were poorly formed, but we eventually understood each other. Gravity, no air, etc. We talked about the difference between rockets and satellites (rockets get you in space, satellites are basically robots that stay there). We talked about what engineers do: solve problems.
Kagwuru Primary School - 7th and 8th Grade
I eventually gave a speech (that refined with each lecture) ten different times in four schools, to 200 students ranging from 7th to 12th grade. Many of the students at Kagwuru Primary school, though in 7th and 8th grade were close to 18 years old. Some of the boys at St Francis orphanage were into their 20’s and persevering to be educated. The girls at St Clare’s were generally in age appropriate grades (per western standards) from 7th to 12th, though there were a few out of place.
This is what the speech evolved into: first an explanation of aerospace engineering. A discussion (above) on space. Then we got into the robots. I pulled out my mindstorm robot and pointed out the different sensors. I asked what the sensors on the human body were, and the students were quick to talk about our five senses: taste, touch, sound, smell, and sight. I explained the robot had two sensors. The first, a light sensor, had a nice program that the students could interact with, listening to a different noise depending on the amount of light detected. They especially enjoyed the different noise my hand made compared to theirs (based on the skin color). The second sensor, an ultrasonic sensor, was a great platform to discuss a concept each class knew well: speed, distance, and time. I drew a picture of the robot’s ‘eyes’ and showed a beam leaving one ‘eye’, hitting an object, and returning. Explaining that I know how fast the beam goes and how long it takes to go from one ‘eye’ to the other, the students were asked what the sensor then tells us. Some of the classes immediately said ‘distance’, but whether it was my phrasing or the fact that I was speaking English (their third language), some students needed help to come up with the answer.
Relationship between Speed and Time
We then went into robot controls and I showed them the motors on the robot. What are the controls for humans? Some said ‘legs’ and some thought deeper and said ‘muscles’. We then related the robot parts to human’s: computer (brain), battery (heart/food), wires (veins/nerves). The students were able to see the translation easily. There were some fun questions such as ‘how do you make it jump?’ Well this transitioned into my next topic: programming.
Our program...and re-programming



You have to program a robot to do exactly what you want it to do. I told a student to ‘come here’, making a hand gesture that in Kenya means come (kuja!) and looks a bit like a one handed clap. Without hesitation, the student would turn out of their desk and walk up to me, though the closer they got the more uncomfortable they became. I explained that in order for a robot to do what they just did, you would have to give it specific instructions. Rotate 90 degrees clockwise. Stand up. Walk 4 feet. Rotate 90 degrees. Walk 10 feet. Stop. I explained that if you told a robot to ‘come here’, it might come but that doesn’t mean it would stop! The students chuckled at the idea of a robot running into you and appreciated when I talked about how smart they were and how complex their brain to translate that ‘come here’ means so many things.
St Clare's Orphanage 7th - 12th grade (12th shown here)
Then we got to talk about autonomy. I especially enjoyed this part with the girls at the orphanage. We talked about what autonomy means socially, thinking for yourself and doing what is right, regardless of what people tell you. Also with the girls, I got to start the lectures with ‘so you know how boys are smarter than girls’ just to see what their reaction was, then of course would laugh or explain how untrue this was. It was neat being able to teach with a message, trying to instill confidence more than relay a topic. That’s the main thing I tried to do: inspire the students to continue to study, as many drop out after 8th grade. To show the girls that engineers are in all shapes and genders, regardless of what they’ve seen.
One older student at St Francis (8th - 12th)
Back to autonomy. Robots have to be told exactly what to do, so we would do sample programs. This got the students on their feet as they input a 5 step program, and reprogrammed it if it didn’t do what they intended. It was really great when something didn’t work, because we got to stop, and try to fix the problem. You could see the gears turning in their heads trying to consider where the error was. I loved it!
That was basically the end and the talk ranged from 30 minutes to over an hour depending on how engaged they were. Some had amazing questions about space and we discussed the poor state of Pluto, losing its planet status. Everyone asked if I had been to space and I sadly had to reply ‘no, but my second satellite just launched!’ The questions were great and I told them how impressed I was with their attitudes and understanding. The differences between the poorer schools and the girls’ orphanage was vast, mostly in the comprehension of English, but also in the caliber of questions and problem solving. I asked the students to leave me their name and a thought that struck them. Here was some feedback from the children in the orphanage (spelling is preserved). I include them not to boast what I did, because it was so little compared to what people are really doing in the world, but mostly because I think their hope is encouraging. It’s nice to know that in a place that is generally regarded as sad and hopeless, there is so much enthusiasm and drive. I am so grateful to God to get the chance to interact with these students and if I can play any part in helping them succeed, I feel blessed. ** Also, thank you to my robotics prof for suggesting it and being so accomodating while I was gone. I can't imagine having missed this experience!
Neat to have a captive audience!

From the girl’s orphanage (St Clare’s):
8th Grade
  • I was surprise to see that it [robot] knows where it is directed and it goes as it’s commanded
  • I would like to become an engineer so that I can have a robot
  • It was a very pleasing time to be with you. I was perplexed to see a robat. It walks, sees, times, and also programme.
9th grade
  • I like it when I control its sensors and it obeys.
  • Its actually amazing to see your proffesion in such a way. It’s actually motivating and encouraging me in my sciences.
  • Actually it was an interesting picture to me, I wish I could remain with it forever, meanwhile I would like to become a significant person like you.
  • I would like to be an astronomist so as to be using the robot. I really admire your career.
10th grade
  • I learnt that a robot uses auntonomy by a computer. My profession is to be a lawyer and if fells, an engineer.
  • I learnt that a robot has a senser and it is used to command. Without a command, it can do nothing.  My proffesion is to be a pilot when it fails to be a lawyer. [** This made me sad to see ‘when it fails’]
  • I learnt that the robot’s sensor’s can sense what is in front thus controlling itself by use of a computer. I think it uses time, speed, and distance. It is a nice appliance. My profession is to be a nurse if it fails be a PhD doctor.
11th grade
  • I have learnt a lot of physics and geography from you. [** For anyone who knows me…this is hilarious. I know nothing about geography!]
  • Much of addition of knowledge from you. I will always whisper word of prayer for you [**Melt my heart!!]
  • You made me feel special when we were with you in class. Thank you, Madam Libby.
  • Really it’s hard to find a woman and expecially a youngstar like you working a big department.
  • I can’t deny the fact that you are smart. Many people don’t believe if women can be like you but for my case I do believe. I am also taking physics as my career subject and I would like to be like you…I belive I continue with the learning of physics. I hope to know more and operate for my own.
12th grade (they wrote full letters, so here are excerpts that make my heart melt).
  • …This being my last year in form 4, I will work hard and by God’s grace, I will join colledge or university and I will be communicating with you through my email. I love you, Libby.
  • …You are a good role model to me and I desire to follow your example… I am really working very hard since I know that success is reserved for those who will go through the fire, climb the mountains, walk through the valleys, pass through the darkest nights and laugh at the adversities of lyfe. I want to be hapy in future since happy people share two things in common. They know exactly what they want and they fell they’re moving towards it. That’s what makes life feel good. When it has direction , when you are heading straight for what you love. …In the course of the day when I will need to pray I will whispher your names in my prayer.
  • Honestly, I can’t imagine how you guys get to come up with such huge machines that you take to the space.
  • I am interested in knowing more about the space so I will make sure I get all these ideas either from my dear Libby or when I study mechanical engineering.
  • What challenges do you meet everyday in your work? [and many more questions including ‘do you like single life’]

From the boy’s orphanage, 12th grade:
  • I wish to explore Saturn
  • I almost change my dream after the robot lesson [His profession is ‘soldier’]
  • You are smart. Technologically. [He wants to be a music producer/DJ]

No comments:

Post a Comment