Thursday, January 24, 2019

Resiliency

Today (Thursday) the word that rings truest is resiliency. It's the word of the day. Maco witnessed one of the women who was being aggressively patted down as the image of strength and resilience. The woman walked up to TSA, and rather than merely acquiescing to the TSA's demands, she stood there practically in superman's power pose, not defiant, but simply strong, ready to take on whatever challenge is brought to her. 

Another woman was brought to the hospital (by Maco.... perhaps she should be doing this blog....). The woman came in yesterday complaining about her shoulder, and though she took Tylenol, the pain didn't go away and she could barely move her arm. We thought perhaps her arm was dislocated from sleeping on the concrete floor for two weeks (her suggestion) so she went to the hospital. It wasn't dislocated, but she does have a "frozen shoulder", with basic pain meds as the answer and a loose sling. When I saw her after returning from the hospital, she was so grateful to Maco, and bravely faced the pain as if it was nothing. She wasn't bitter or mad about the injury, just relieved to begin treating it. 

A third example, just from today, is a woman who walked into the supplies room, asked for Vaseline, (which I handed to her), then she began to pull her pants down (with the hotel door wide open) and showed me a huge bruise on her butt. I had no idea what I was supposed to do to help her, or even why she was showing me. She tried to explain in Spanish as I smiled dumbly, repeating for the millionth time "lo siento, no comprende". Then I handed her my phone with the Google translate app up, she typed in Spanish and I read in English that the penicillin shot she was given apparently caused the bruise. I finally realized she wanted icy-hot, and luckily we had some. It's unclear as to whether she got the vaccination at the border or in Mexico before crossing over, but she made me think of resiliency immediately, not letting a simple shot slow her down, nor modesty stand in her way of getting what she needed. That woman will do just fine in America to get what she and her family need. 

The final example I have makes me sad and I hesitate to include it. One of the other volunteers, a religious sister coincidentally from NY as well, explained how she saw TSA inspecting a young baby. Normally, the children are given to the volunteer while the parent is being patted down. This time, apparently TSA took the baby and inspected all of the blankets and clothing laying the infant on a table and opening layers of blankets and clothing then actually patting them down. I asked if the baby was crying but apparently not. This resilient little one sat there taking an extreme level of inequity I've never even heard of - and didn't fuss or complain. I can only imagine what's she's experienced already to be okay with a stranger removing her from her mom, putting her on a table, and touching her, but then again what an amazingly strong character that she is starting life with - this little one has a big future ahead. 

Tonight I go to bed in awe of the people in the rooms around around me, and with the prayer that this is the beginning of a new and different life for them, with the hardships they experienced firmly in the past. To them I say, "bienvenidos"!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, give that bienvenidos in the name of all of us. Thank you my sisters!
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke chapter 4. The spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to bring Glad Tidings to the poor. You sent me to Proclaim Liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed Go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete