Sunday, January 27, 2019

A bell hop artist

Today feels like the longest day yet - do I keep saying that?? It was full of rewarding, fun moments and the ache of my calves is evidence of the many people and visitation moments that were shared.

I spent the night in the on-call emergency room, not sleeping too well for fear I wouldn't wake up, and hoping I wouldn't be called on with a rush of Spanish words in the middle of the night. Luckily, the only knock was at 6:50 from a man needing some supplies before his 7am transfer. Phew!! I jumped into making sandwiches and by 10am, while Cathy put the bags together, I went through 13 loaves of bread, 4 jumbo jars of peanut butter and 5 jars of jam. 158 sandwiches were ready to go on the road!

A doctor came to check on two patients we were concerned about, one who it turns out has strep and was leaving a few hours later. The kind doc called the prescription in and we had the boy medicated before he left, drugs in hand! To add some hope about their treatment in the ICE facility, one 2-year-old girl came with influenza, and the expensive drugs to treat it, having been seen at the ER while she was in custody. That quick follow-up confirmed she is doing well and it was lovely to see her up and running around today, after sleeping all day yesterday. 

I had to say goodbye to my sweet wee one who followed me around, patted my back, and chartered constantly like I had any idea what she said. That is hard - you are happy the people are going to meet their families, but they are so sweet and some touch your heart so much, you don't want to see them go (until you do!!)

Today I helped serve lunch for the first time, as the people came off the bus at 1pm just as we were cleaning up, we brought it all back out and we're able to serve them! We are told by one teenager that the only thing he was served during the 10 days (where ever he was) was tortillas with nearly raw meat. He got so sick after the first day, he didn't eat the next 9. So, when the people came off the bus, it was emotionally exhausting and infinitely rewarding to look each person in the hand, pass them a big plate of food, smile and say "Bienvenido", and to the kids "Hola!! Cuantos Anos??", and no matter the answer, reply with "muy grande"!!

I find myself being stretched in all kinds of ways while volunteering. While the organization and chaotic pace comes naturally, today I was asked to pray before the lunch meal. They always begin meals with a grace, and today I led it, namely because one of the focuses of my congregation is interculturality. I learned the "Our Father" in all 4 languages where are sisters are (Japanese, Spanish, French, and English). Learning it in Spanish was one of the first things I did at the novitiate, and since we often say it during evening prayer it has become wrote. However, I have never said it alone and to a group of 60 native Spanish speakers. By the end of the prayer, I was the pinker than pink and prayed (while praying) that I wouldn't skip a line or repeat one. I was encouraged when I heard a few people saying it under their breath, and thanked God that it went well, and this first moment was able to put some peace in their hearts. 

Immediately after lunch, I was the bell hop (one of the many "runners"), directing people from the office through the supply rooms to their rooms, and dealing with any "wrong" assignments or dirty rooms. While waiting to go in, people look at a colorful placemat of a map of the US that I found at Target at Cathy's request. We labeled a "you are here" and spend a few moments with people showing them on the map where they will love, and including anecdotes like "muy Frio" or "es bueno!!" and estimating the time on a bus or plane to that destination. This is the second time I get to see the adults all smile and relax. (The first is when they see the food). The new friends elbow each other and wonder at how far away they will be living from each other. It is a rare moment when you see a sparkle in their eyes, brimming with hope in a good future. 

They also read the signs I got to make explaining what to expect in the airport, stealing the idea and nearly every aspect of the poster from a different Annunciation House annex. I am working on a bus one now, but have to get help with the translation of the nuanced differences (tonight's activity).

In the gospel today, we were encouraged to share our talents. It's so neat to get to put my scrapbooking experience to good use. Realize - we have no computer and no printer, but with today's technology, my phone and the walgreens website was all I needed! The people stood around commenting on the pictures, and I'd love to know what they were saying. There was some fear and trepidation on their faces, and I am so glad we can accompany them through security to the gate. I am told that many of the people are quite scared about the connections and it's hard not to jump on a plane and help them the whole way. (I haven't been through security yet). 

Afterwards, (now 6:40pm) Maco and I brought two people from the capital of Honduras to an obscure bus company (that took some effort to find), and when we returned we decided to take the night off and let someone else make the bags for tomorrow! I was in my room by 8pm, for a nice early night, sitting down to enjoy lunch... And supper.... And dessert. 

Before you worry too much about me, worry and Maco and Cathy more, as they are keeping nearly the same schedule and have a few years on me.... (Ha). A hot bath relieved my achy muscles and I am excited for what tomorrow will bring! I am on shift at 7am, so I leave you for tonight with the memory of the little girl in my arms tossing my hair back and forth, the laughter of the people hearing how cold Minnesota is, and how hot my face felt when I led my first Spanish prayer. 




5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're going to bed a little earlier than usual. Hopefully you'll wake up a bit more energized and renewed. It just gives us a tiny taste of what the immigrants have gone through leaving far far away from where they are now,band having a road ahead still. May God hold you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so lucky to have you girls help them thru this scary journey. Yeah scrapbooking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Libby! It is Sandra from Grade 6 Catechism at St. Dunstan's Basilica, PEI. The last time I spoke with you was when you gave me the letters back by the students from Kenya to my students that wrote to them earlier. I am so proud of what you are doing during your 2 year sabbatical with NASA. My daughter, Morgan, is finishing her Honor's Thesis at UPEI towards a Doctorate in Psychology, and my son, Isaac, is now in grade 10 at Grace Christian School. Is there something that my class could do for the immigrants. What do you think of "welcome cards"? Blessings to you and the sisters, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libby, your blog is great; it almost feels as if we're there--without the exhaustion! Thanks so much. Know that all your CND Sisters--including those at the General Conference last week--are with you three in thought, love and prayer--in whatever language. Blessings! Mary Anne Foley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you serve lunch or meals? Is there a common space? Loving thoughts and prayers coming your way. Bea

    ReplyDelete