Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Own Surprise Party! That I Planned - Sept 3, 2011

Yup it's true. I planned my own surprise party, and the worst part is, I didn't even know I was doing it! We have this fantastic cottage here on PEI, that I've mentioned in past blogs. During the summer, we divide the team so each family gets to use it for two weeks. Starting in September, it's a free for all for whichever family wants to use it. Growing up, going the cottage typically meant work. Fixing the roof, reshingling, painting, always something. Once the cottage was fixed up (read details on this feat in a previous post), there was a weekend every year that was deemed 'no work weekend' to lull out as much family as possible to relax and have fun! This year the numbers were down a bit, so we had to have a second half to the first no work weekend. I set out to plan this, since I had a lot of time, and made sure everyone knew about it.

Sammy Cake!
We changed the date a few times, and finally landed on labor day weekend, and even days before the event, it was changed from Sunday to Saturday. I sent out emails, and was overwhelmed with the number of people that were going to come. Definitely higher numbers than normal! The weekend came and a few of us stayed the night before. I realized it was my dog Sammy's 15th birthday. (yes he's that old) and decided that since someone needed to bring a cake, I'd volunteer, be a bit goofy, and make it in the shape of Sammy. Well it turned out great! I made a red velvet cake at the request of one of my young cousins, and because I thought that was a bit dark and funny, since the cake was shaped a dog.

Cartwheels!
The day of the event we made a trip to the local town for supplies (alcohol and junk food), and I was quite unhappy that this was taking so long as I wanted to be back having fun with all the arriving family. We finally pulled back to the cottage and as I helped unload the items, I was the last one in and I could hear everyone saying 'where's Libby'. I still didn't get it. Then I walked onto the porch which had canada flags, red, and white streamers, balloons and everything! I was speechless, which doesn't happen often, mostly because I was so confused. My mind was racing for an event that my whole family might be staring at me and singing 'for she's a jolly good fellow' and I came up blank. Then every moment of cajoling came into my mind, of trying to ensure everyone came....to my party! Oh my. I think then I was so embarrassed I matched my new flag. Not only did I plan my own surprise party, but I insisted all the guests come, brought the cake, and was so gullible, I was actually surprised!
 
My uncles

 It was a great party and there were even gifts and a big goofy hat I was forced to wear. 43 family members came, and only 9 people who live on the island weren't there (all for very good reasons and sent their regrets). That's our best turn out yet! After finding out how long my family had been planning this (a few months), and realizing that many only came because it was a party for me, I was quite flattered. Plus I really needed that new electric blanket they all gave me. I'm not sure how I will survive the cold upcoming winter without it! Oh if you're wondering what the party was for, as I certainly was, it was a 'new job/new apartment/officially moving in to pei'. Phew. And people wondered why I moved here!
The whole crew minus 3 young fishermen

1 comment:

  1. Oh Libby that Sammy cake you made was awesome! We were going to call Elliot Samuel but Mark's parents have a dog named Sammy too. How did you get the icing black? And the shape of the dog cake is perfect; you never fail to impress me with your talents.

    Thanks for coming to visit last weekend. It truly was so nice to see you and now that you are gone, I have so much more I'd love to ask you about and share with you. I know it was a bit of a down day for you so I didn't try to 'throw too much' into the visit. I hope the drive back wasn't too painful in the rain.

    So great post and great party too - I am so happy for you!

    Adair

    ReplyDelete