Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A PEI day at the beach - Monday April 4, 2011

Today I went to the beach. Now if I had been in Mexico I would have worn a different outfit. But since I’m on PEI and it’s still winter, when I woke up this morning and decided to go to the beach, I went to my closet. I put on a tank top, long sleeve shirt, hoodie, knee high socks, bicycle shorts, and yoga pants, in addition to the attire I would normally be found in a beach environment.  Yes, I did wear a bikini underneath, because that’s what you wear to the beach, even if the sand is covered in snow. Oh and once I got to the beach, I added my knee length wool Jackie O powder pink trench coat, gloves, and powder pink snow cap. I was ready!
The motivation for this trip was that I have been on PEI for 10 days now, and haven’t exercised once, unless you count all the work my thumb has been doing during commercials on the remote control. I’m definitely not complaining. The fact that I have been able to lay in bed and watch tv for the first time in months is fantastic! I wasn’t sure if I still could lay perfectly still and not move for hours. Turns out I can. It also turns out that if you continue to eat while doing this non-activity, you can gain a few pounds in as short as a week. Haha. Also, the cold is a bit shocking, but really, 10 days should be an appropriate acclimation period. You can only claim having been to Kenya for so long. Oh and as if that wasn’t enough, there have been baby seals washing up on shore and the possibility of seeing one provides fantastic motivation for a lovely walk!
I drove up to the north shore and got out and had a lovely walk on the red sand. The water was crashing to my right and the frozen red cliffs covered in snow were to my left. It was such an odd mix of winter and summer scenes held together by a mixture of sand and red dirt, oh and extreme cold.  I left all technology back in the car: cell phones, ipod, laptop, etc, and had only my camera with me…just in case a baby seal were to appear. I could see my breath and was surprised that the sand moved underneath my feet the same way. Physically speaking, I knew sand wouldn’t freeze, but when you see snow nearby, you expect something different to happen.
Despite the cold weather, one of the things I love about PEI is that the sky is clear and blue. There are nice puffy clouds without being overcast. The air felt crisp. It was a nice serene walk, without the interruption of music, tv, or talking, and I found that my mind was ready for 90 minutes of this. After that, I needed more noise than the sounds of the waves crashing. Since no one was around, I started singing out loud. Unfortunately, I don’t know the lyrics to that many songs so I belted out the broadway tunes that I do know to the wind. The nearby seagulls got to hear selections from Wicked, Gypsy, and a bonus song by Ceelo Green. I rounded out my nice 10km walk after about 2 hours. It was beautiful, and I even got a glimpse of a seal. Sadly, it only used to be a seal and was now a pelt. This was sad and a bit of a surprise to see, but it was good motivation to get me out and enjoying the nice day. I’m glad to be back on PEI and happier still to be out and about. With a big start like this, who knows where this summer will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment