Wednesday, August 4, 2010

2000 miles down...

So we made it to san antonio on saturday with no hassles (from van horn) and had a great couple of days at home with my parents, manda, kim, and josh. Yesterday (Tues) we were on the road again starting at 5am so we could avoiad San Antonio and Austin morning traffic. We did! But around Dallas only moved 40 miles in 90 minutes because of construction. Guhh! Other than that traffic was good and we drove over 1000 miles in one day! Got all the way through Missouri and Oklahoma to Springfield IL, pulling in at 1am. Having taken turns driving, we also took turns napping all day. :)


We drove right through this great little town called Joplin where the battery we're using for the satellite is made. I waved at it. Also I waved at the arch in St Louis. Even at 10pm that thing looks amazing! No bbq though...our road meals include mostly the wendys dollar menu. There's just so much to eat off that, especially with the spicy nuggets!


Okay: Serious blonde moment, so when were in Rolla Missouri, apparently the very top of the Ozark mountains, (with a wendys that claims not to make spicy chicken nuggets when I them earlier that day in Denton, TX....whatever). There were a few extras from Deliverance wandering around and one of them came up to talk to me. He said 'you know you can flip your hitch, right? I have all my tools with me, I can help!' He definitely looked like he just came off the set but seemed very trusting and nice. As Linds and I follow him to an empty (well lit and flat) parking lot down the street, she tries to tell me that this is the situation our teachers in school told us to avoid, but he had his wife with him and I just didn't get a bad feeling from him. So he totally helped us switch the hitch instead of going down three inches it now goes up three inches, giving us so much more clearance, and allowing the trailer to use all 4 wheels! How did I not think of this?? Linds told him I was an engineer and he just laughed. It turns out between he and his wife (who was missing many of her teeth), they have 11 red headed kids, he's a diesel mechanic, and they were on their way home in the Ozarks. What a wierd meeting! I called him my angel and we hurried off. Who knew! So simple and the car drives great now!


Earlier that day as we were entering the very hilly Oklahoma, I turned to Linds and asked of she would ever pull a trailer again. We both said no, then agreed this was the worst idea I've ever had. Then we giggled for like 10 minutes because this was a completely random comment and out of no where. We have had a blast with the radio classics, comedy, broadway, and simply sinatra stations on sirious, spent plenty of time giggling along the way, but boy this trailer is a hassle! I fear one of the tires will blow out today, but luckily we fixed our spare in San Antonio, so we once again have a spare.


The drive from Phoenix to PEI is 3200 miles, but with our stops to San Antonio, Chicago, Indiana, New York, it's 3900 miles. but....this means we're past 1/2 way!!!! Who woo! We'll be there by Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment