Friday, February 19, 2010

Poker and Church...not in that order

Day 19 – Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Not much happened that was different than the previous day. I have really enjoyed getting to know everyone but am saddened with the idea that so many people are leaving on Sunday and I’m staying on an extra week. :*( My mom, the teenagers, the dentist and his wife. They’re all really sweet and I think the last week will miss something without them. I taught the teens how to play blackjack and poker, and have been collecting bottlecaps all week (from the nuns) in order to show them betting. Their parents are aware, but I’m pretty sure they’re not too impressed. Oh well! I also taught them high low today, haha! (no drinks…don’t worry!)

 

There was a beautiful mass today for Ash Wednesday, in this quaint little church that was decorated by the kids. The front half of the pews were filled with children from the school, and the interesting part was, I didn’t see a teacher in sight. All of the kids sat through mass without making a peep. If that were the states, there’d by a teacher on every row just to minimize the talking and figiting, and having gone to parochial school, I am sure of this! There one was little baby who sat in front of me and cried anytime a mazungo (white person) looked at her; she would go into hysterics! It was especially funny because her dad was one of our translators, and couldn’t have been any nicer!

 

Summary: Fun day corrupting youth…..while doing good in the vision clinic.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment