Saturday, February 20, 2010

Are we there yet??

Day 21 – Friday, February 19, 2010

Today we travelled and travelled and travelled. It was a really fun combie to be in: my mom, the teens and their moms, and Danelle, one of the nurses who is really sweet. We were supposed to have a 3.5 – 5 hour ride (yep I know that’s quite a range), but it ended up being 8.5 hours. Over 3 of those hours was on a road that was so bumpy, I actually appreciated having a seatbelt on to keep my head from hitting the roof! It was unbelieveable how uncomfortable we all were for so long, but yet no one in the combies complained about the length of time. Not having a watch certainly helped…. But really people weren’t upset. I don’t think I’ve ever been a part of a group that was so collectively easy-going.

We arrived in Tsavano Animal Reserve and had a 22km ride to the Kilaguni Serena Safari lodge within the reserve, and got to animal watch the whole way! We saw giraffes, a kind of deer, the most beautiful blue bird that I’m sure was just like Zazu on Lion King, wart hogs, and a lot of elephant dung. That was hopeful for the next day! We were completely covered in dirt from the open windows all day long, but we all just thought we had a nice tan. J This illusion was shattered when we stepped off the combie to hot hand towels to wash our face and hands with and saw the white cotton turn to an ugly brown! We went in and had a lovely lunch around 530pm, with the plan to return for dinner around 8pm. Holy cow was this place gorgeous! This is the Kenya most tourists see. The lodge overlooks a beautiful water hole, that tons of animals were just sitting at, completely oblivious to us. It was unbelieveably surreal. Plus the food was so much more like what we were used to … and there was bread and cheese! My two favorite things that I have not had in so long! We went skipping to our rooms after dinner and were amazed to see them. Not a single thing was wrong. We were all so tolerant and easy going about our past rooms, that this beauty was really a shock. The mosquito net goes all around the beds, so as not to impose on you as you sleep. The shower is self contained with beautiful tiling. The toilet has a lid. There are mirrors everywhere. Oh, and apparently there is a problem with baboons coming and stealing stuff off your balcony. What a cool problem!?! Oh oh oh! I missed the best part….they have a gift shop, someone to do laundry for you, and a spa! My mom and I ran to the gift shop and bought stuff for the first time all trip! We have beautiful bracelets, new beaded sandals, and some other goodies! I will have clean laundry tomorrow for a mere $10! All meals are included! Wow we have really arrived. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief during ‘lunch’ as we were finally able to relax. I now know why the safari wasn’t after the first weekend. As I was leaving dinner, my mom and I booked a pedicure for the next day (for our new sandles) and I put down a $40 deposit to get a hair dryer! Yes everyone, my hair is soft and looks like hair for the first time in weeks! It is also surprisingly long. This also means I took a warm shower for the first time in weeks….not scalding hot or freezing cold! Wow! Wow! Wow! This is really energizing for the next week in Mombasa! Tomorrow morning we leave for a safari at 6am so I better call it a night, but golly gee is this a fun trip! My mom said it best ‘this is worth taking 1000 people’s temperature!’ J

Summary: So far the safari is already incredible! I can’t wait for tomorrow!

Books read: 9 (Left behind prequel book 2…only one more!)

No comments:

Post a Comment