Sunday, February 4, 2007

Hey! It's been forever since I wrote one of these and as a result I figure I've lost all 3 readers of my xanga. anytahoo....today's rant is concerning the superbowl and my attendance at the phoenix open.


Today was superbowl XLI day. The most interesting part of superbowl for me is trying to figure out the roman numerals...seriously. I think this is one of those guilt type american holidays that the entire purpose is to make you feel bad if you're not at a party (you know, like olympics or halloween). Really, I don't like football or most sports for that matter. While you're in college it's fun to root for the team, but having moved around a lot, I suppose I never latched on to a team/sport - or maybe it's just because I'm too girly to care about sports and too comfortable with myself to not care I don't like sports. Summary - sports are boring. Plus I don't really like beer, and it seems a little too night club to drink anything stronger and too high school to drink soda. If I do go to a superbowl party, I only ever watch the commercials - and then I kinda just feel like I'm celebrating a commercialized (haha) holiday like valentines or something. Plus I can just wait for that great new show on TBS showing the best commercials. One year I really did tape the superbowl and fas-forward through the game to watch the commercials. (Note: I don't feel bad I was all alone during the superbowl because I had invites to go places and turned them down. I was suckered into watching the championships for 7 hours - enough for the year!)


Anyway I spent the day lounging around. It was awesome. I did a whole lot of nothing in my pajama's. I redid my budget, played games, painted my nails, took a bubblebath - really it was pretty sweet.


Speaking of sports - yesterday I was at the Phoenix Open. Seriously. I was 'watching' golf yesterday. I went to the infamous 16th hole that is so rowdy that Tiger Woods (sp?) refuses to play there any more. I watched about 15 different players hit a ball or two. Really they're amazing. Their skill is incredible. I don't love that there were no women playing, but I have to admit that golf takes an incredible skill I will never have. I doubt I'll ever watch another golf tournament. Certainly not in Phoenix. The people were way too annoying. There were about 150,000 people there yesterday. I was volunteering for my sorority. We were selling beer and food to raise money for scholarships. Anyway back to the people: it was held in Scottsdale and the scary people who live there came out in full force. The girls were wearing these retarded shorts that were plaid and golf hats with polos. Since when did really bad ugly clothes become fashionable? Plus all the guys who were cheering at the 16th hole were frat guys that granted were quiet while the swinging was going on, but then went nuts like they had some clue what was going on, but they don't - they just started cheering when the polite people start clapping. It was really crowded too. We were bussed from our car to the open and it was a 45 min line to get back to the bus. No joke. Scottsdale-ites feel so entitled. The line is 45 min long and the entire line is trying to find a way to go to the fast line, and cut in at the front of our slow line. Seriously - the whole line was plotting. Then there was this group of college kids - likely the same age as me, but completely stupid. One of the guys was talking about how he totally had to pee and would just go when he got on the bus, (the drive was like 4 minutes, there's no bathrooms on the bus) and he said 'el banjo' at one point and the three girls in his group went, 'what's that...like a banjo? that hilbilly guitar?' and the guy was like 'no it's spanish' so the girl says 'oh like toilette is french for bathroom' and the guy's like - 'no that means toilet'. Seriously I was getting stupider standing next to them. I really wished I had a pen and paper or a phone with me to record the stupidity (no cell phones allowed at the open). I was there all day, and had fun serving beer with 18 year olds. It really was fun. The girls were nice and I learned how to pour beer (which I never knew). By the end of the day I walked miles because we were on the 'back 9' and I got lost getting there (some of the paths were closed so I did a lot of retracing my steps through the thousands of people). I was so tired getting home last night, I didn't go shopping at the mall - I had to do it online. Guh!


Yesterday was fun. Mostly laughing at stupid people, but a different kind of laughing than laughing at hillbillies in texas. Laughing at scottsdale-ites made me feel better, less shallow and materialistic, and so much like I might actually be a rocket scientist. (I rarely feel like a rocket scientist, but I think even kids on the short bus would feel good around these girls). It just makes me sad that they have a lot of money. Hopefully their money is somewhere in the economy doing good things, not sitting in their parents safe.


On the plus side I'm going to Oregon to visit my friend and her baby. I haven't seen her in forever and I get meet Logan for the first time (the baby) - plus I get to be aunt libby all weekend! 


Wow, long rant. I'll see tomorrow if I won any money in the superbowl pool.


Bottom line: girls around here are stupid, I'm not a sports fan, and uhh, this weekend was awesome!

1 comment:

  1. whoo hoo update.
    P.s. hillbillies are not from Texas, we have rednecks. . . duh!

    ReplyDelete